Call for applications for research residency 2022from 25 July to 21 August 2022 in Berlin
Schaubude Berlin, production house for contemporary puppetry and object theatre, invites applications for a four-week residency to explore new aesthetic and performative strategies in the engagement with digitalisation and its social effects. The residency is intended as a research laboratory and does not commit to a premiere. Its aim is to offer artists a place to research ideas, try out new forms and develop possibilities for new collaborations.
Who is the call for applications aimed at?
We are looking for a team of 2 to 4 people. At least one person must work in the field of performing arts and use puppets or objects as means of expression in their work. At least one person must come from the field of media art or from digital fields of work (e.g. robotics, programming, computer science).
The person who submits the application and becomes the contractual partner for the residency must be resident in Germany. The other members do not have to live in Germany. It is possible for existing groups or students to apply.
What does the residency include?
- Use of the Schaubude Berlin auditorium and technical equipment. Information on the accessibility of the theatre can be found here.
- Fee totalling EUR 6,500.00 gross in two instalments for the residency group. The fee covers all costs of the group (e.g. travel expenses, material costs). If costs are incurred for accessibility or care in connection with the residency, please make a note in the application form; these costs can be covered up to a sum of EUR 1,000.00 gross in addition to the fee after consultation.
- Accommodation in the theatre's guest rooms (1 double room, 1 single room, 1 room with sofa bed, shared bathroom and kitchen). The guest rooms are only accessible via stairs.
- Process support by a mentor suggested by Schaubude Berlin.
How can one apply?
The application is made using the form provided at www.schaubude.berlin. The information on the research project and on motivation/artistic development can be submitted as text, as a video, as a sound file or in graphic formats. Please follow the instructions in the form. The deadline for applications is 1 March 2022. The application can be completed in German or English. The decision will be announced in April 2021. The selection jury will include: Mascha Erbelding (director Puppentheater/Schaustellerei Collection of Münchner Stadtmuseum and artistic director Internationales Figurentheaterfestival München), Sarah Fartuun Heinze (freelance artist, author, cultural educator) and Tim Sandweg (artistic director Schaubude Berlin and international festival Theater der Dinge).
What is expected of the residency team?
- Documentation of the research process in a suitable form agreed in advance with the Artistic Director of Schaubude Berlin.
- Public presentation of the research process as part of the festival "Theater der Dinge" (November 2022) in a form appropriate to the research process.
- Final report with a description of the course of the residency and artistic reflection in written form (approx. two DIN A4 pages).
- Regular participation in publicising the process via the social media channels of the Schaubude Berlin as well as permission to make recordings of the research process for the public relations of the Schaubude Berlin.
- Should the COVID-19 pandemic not allow the realisation of the residency in the way described above, we will look for a suitable solution together with the research team.
Questions and need for information?
The research residency is funded by the Senatsverwaltung für Kultur und Europa as part of the international festival Theater der Dinge 2022.