Call for Applications Research Residency 2021from July 12 to August 8, 2021 in Berlin
Schaubude Berlin, production house for contemporary puppetry and object theatre, is inviting tenders for a four-week residency to explore new aesthetic and performative strategies for dealing with digitalization and its social consequences.
We are looking for a team of 2 to 4 people, in which artists of the performing arts, whose means of expression include puppets, figures or objects, want to work together with media artists or participants from digital fields of work (e.g. robotics, programming, computer science). The project aims to explore new possibilities of combining digital means with forms of the theatre of objects.
The residency is intended as a research laboratory. The research project does not have to be part of a planned production and does not commit to a premiere. Rather, the aim of the residency is to provide the group with a place to research artistic ideas, try out new forms, and develop opportunities for new collaborations.
Applications must be submitted using the form provided at www.schaubude.berlin. The information on the research project as well as on motivation/artistic development can be submitted as a text, video, sound file or in graphic formats. Please note the instructions in the form.
The deadline for applications is 1 March 2021. The application can be completed in German or English. The decision will be announced in April 2021. Selection panel: Irina-Simona Bârcă (Dramaturge for children’s and youth projects at FFT Düsseldorf), Seta Guetsoyan (Director Figurentheater Kolleg Bochum), Tim Sandweg (Artistic Director Schaubude Berlin).
- Teams of 2 to 4 people; at least one participant must work professionally and primarily in the field of performing arts and have used puppets or objects in previous works, at least one participant must work professionally and primarily in the field of media art or in digital work areas.
- The applicant must be a resident of Germany.
- An application from already existing groups or students is possible.
- Applications from projects that have already been or will be co-produced by Schaubude Berlin are excluded.
- The use of the Schaubude Berlin stage during the residency period
- Use of the technical equipment of the theatre.
- Accommodation for max. 3 people
- in the theatre's guest rooms (1 double room, 1 single room) during the residency period.
- Fee of EUR 7,000 gross in 2 installments for the residency group; further costs cannot be covered
- Process support by a mentor proposed by Schaubude Berlin
Continuous presence on site during the residency period
- Documentation of the research process in a suitable form agreed in advance with the artistic director of Schaubude Berlin, as well as a public presentation as part of the festival “Theater der Dinge” (November 2021) of the research process and any research results in a form suitable for the research process
- Regular participation in publicizing the process via the social media channels of Schaubude Berlin as well as permission to take pictures of the research project for free, spatially and temporally unrestricted use and exploitation for the public relations work of Schaubude Berlin
- Final report (about 2 DIN A4 pages with description of the residency process and artistic reflection)
The research residence takes place within the frame of the international festival Theater der Dinge 2021. The festival is funded by the Senate Department for Culture and Europe.